Welcome to the AquaHacking Lake Winnipeg 2020 Challenge! We’re so glad you’re here. If you’re ready to register, click the “JOIN” button to the right or scroll down to learn more!
What is AquaHacking?
AquaHacking is a startup competition designed to support technology and business development addressing environmental problems related to freshwater. After 5 successful years in the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence region, AquaHacking is coming to the Prairies: The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) is proud to host the AquaHacking Lake Winnipeg 2020 Challenge in Winnipeg, Manitoba on traditional lands of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Ojibwe-Cree, Dakota, and Dene Peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.
Between January and October 2020, AquaHacking Lake Winnipeg will engage students and young professionals to team up and develop innovative solutions to the specific water issues facing the Lake Winnipeg Basin. With guidance and support from expert mentors in water, tech, and business, the multidisciplinary teams will compete for $50,000 in cash prizes and incubator space.
We encourage all AquaHacking participants to collaborate with Indigenous partners and engage with Traditional Knowledge as they develop sustainable tech and business solutions to improve the health of Lake Winnipeg.
What are the water issues?
The water issue themes for the AquaHacking Lake Winnipeg Challenge are:
Water and Land Management
Open to the Public:
- University of Saskatchewan: February 5, 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm, Arts Building, Room Arts 109
- University of Winnipeg: February 13, 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm, Richardson College for the Environment and Science Complex Atrium
- Brandon University: Tuesday, February 25, 12:40 – 1:30 PM, Room 4-47, Brodie Science Centre
- University of Manitoba: Thursday, January 23, 2:30 – 3:30 PM, Robert B. Schultz Lecture Theatre, St. John’s College
- Red River College, Notre Dame Campus: Friday, February 7, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, Skilled Trades & Technology Centre Galleria (Main Floor)
- Red River College, Exchange District Campus: Monday, March 9, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm, P107 - 160 Princess Street
Open to Members Only:
- ACE Project Space: January 15, 9:00 am - 10:00 am
- North Forge Technology Exchange Lunch n' Learn: February 11, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Assiniboine Community College TBD
Brought to you by: